Roman occupation in Dacia, marks the beginning of a systematic exploitation of mining iron ore polymetallic gold, silver and salt in Transylvania.
The first document who speaks explicitly the existence at Turda salt mines is dated May 1, 1271, was issued by the Hungarian chancellery. By that act, capitle gave himself Transylvania “the salt mine in Turda”. Subsequently, both the capitle of Esztergom and the bishop of Alba Iulia and Transylvania were growing privileges to use the salt mine.
The Turda Salt Mine which was from its very beginning one of the most important in Transylvania, started to decline after 1840 because of the ever bigger competition from the salt mine in Ocna Mures, gradually coming to be but a reserve to the latter.
After World War I, the salt exploitation became state monopoly, but continuing decline in activity in Turda salt mine, mainly due to low productivity, led to the closure of production in 1932.
After 1950 until 1992, Turda salt mine was opened to the public as a tourist, the first 500m of transport Franz Josef gallery were used as cheese warehouse. In 2008 salina enter into a comprehensive process of modernization and fittings within large infrastructure program PHARE 2005 CES regional / local, amounting to 6 mil. Euros, is open for tourist from January 2010. The excellent state of conservation or works machinery used in mining and transportation of salt along the care with which they conducted the preparatory work of mine to become a European or even global tourist attraction, Salina Turda make a place where past and present mingle harmoniously.
Following the project PHARE 2005, Salina Turda became one of the important sights of Transylvania.
Modernization have resulted in:
– Theresa Mine opened to the public, access is possible through mine hearth circulation compartment with stairs or a lift. Underground lake has been arranged to give the tourists a romantic boat ride to 112 m deep in the mountain of salt.
It is a cone shaped mine (mini bell). The exploitation of salt from this type of chamber leaves the underworld with an impressive view. The salt cascade, the underground lake and a bloom of salt stalactites help in the decoration of this huge underground bell.
The underground lake is between 0.5 and 8 m deep. In the center of the lake there is a 5 m high island, what is composed of salt waste dumped in here since 1880, date when mining was stopped in this room.
– Gisela-Mine (stationary room) was adapted and transformed to serve exclusively the work of health treatment.
- Underground Gallery
This area is a geological reservation. Tourists have no access to this room. It is situated 15 m above the transport gallery (Franz Joseph Gallery). The water infiltrations formed salt crystals and stalactites. In the lake from the bottom of the mine amazing salt crystals can be admired. This is the reason why on touristic language this room is called “The room of crystals”.
- The Stationary Room
The Gizela Mine and the technical rooms, adjacent to her, are similar to the Rudolf Mine, but much smaller because the salt exploration stopped shortly after the opening of this mine. Currently this mine is equipped as a spa treatment room with natural aerosols.
– Rudolph Mine: building a panoramic lift, a mini golf track, two tracks minibowling, a sports field, a 180-seat amphitheater, a carousel and was built a playground for children.
The Rudolf Mine is 42 meters deep, 50 meters wide and 80 meters long. The Rudolf Mine is the last mine from Turda where salt was exploited from. 172 steps lead to the heart of this magnificent Mine. Heading to the heart of the mine, on the walls is carved the year in which the salt was exploited.
On the N-W side of the sealing salt stalactites can be admired that formed through the years. They grow about 2 cm / year and when they reach the length of about 3 meters, due to their own weight, they break. The panoramic lift offers tourists a whole picture of the Rudolf Mine.
– Entry-Pavilion was arranged the second entry into the mine, Salt Valley, the Durgau.
- Turda Salt Mine is ”THE COOLEST UNDERGROUND PLACE IN THE WORLD” -Business Insider
- Turda Salt Mine ”FEAT OF ENGINEERING” DAILYMAIL/Online
More than 2.5 million visitors since the Salt Mine entered the tourist circuit. So, come visit Turda salt mine, the location coordinates are as follows:
- Location A: Entrance Salina Turda through the street Salinelor No.54B, Turda, district of Cluj (GPS: N=46.583742 E=23.776267)
- Location B: New Entrance Salina Turda through the street Aleea Durgaului N0.7, Turda, district of Cluj (GPS: N= 46.588833 E=23.787632)